Friday, March 18, 2005

Melodrama

So this is what happened - we put a bid in on the house, and then I cried for a half an hour, reminiscing about when I painted the bathroom nine months pregnant with Riley, and decorating the nurseries, and the neighbors that we love.

Today was a beautiful Spring day, and I could see from my window that the neighbors were outside playing. We hung out on my friend's patio - eight kids, four adults - and ate popsicles. When the baby started to show signs of being tired, I brought her in, plopped her in her crib, and went back outside with the baby monitor on.

I was supposed to hear by seven o'clock tonight. I waited and waited as the time went by, and eventually went to a friend's tupperware party at eight, cell phone clutched in white knuckles.

My husband called me from the party to tell me that our neighbors, the ones I had eaten popsicles with only hours before, the ones who had come to the open house just as a curiosity because we were looking to buy it, the ones that told us that if we asked them not to bid, that they wouldn't, had outbid us on the house.

This was my worst case scenario. I didn't get the house, and I was OK with that, because it was a ton of money and would need about a hundred grand worth of work to get it up to snuff. The FOUR other bidders were my neighbors, a couple that was downsizing from a much more expensive house, a couple from Virginia that grew up in the neighborhood, and a couple who own some company in need of a bigger home. I figured that one of the others would get it, and that would be OK.

This is not OK.

Did you ever have a friend that liked the guy you liked, and he dated her instead of you?

That's what this feels like. Because I was OK staying here because I love our little corner, and now one of us is leaving, and dammit it isn't me.

Dammit. Dammit dammit dammit.

That's all I can say right now. I know that sometimes the greatest gift is an unanswered prayer (thanks Joc) but I'm pissed off right now, and wondering who my new neighbors will be.

Thanks for checking in to see what was going on - it was nice to see your insight and concern. It's made me feel so much better about this whole thing.

6 Comments:

Blogger Terri said...

Well that puts an etirely diferrent spin on it eh? I don't know whether to congratulate you, say sorry, or open a can of whoop ass on your neighbor. LOL

11:21 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

Well that puts an etirely diferrent spin on it eh? I don't know whether to congratulate you, say sorry, or open a can of whoop ass on your neighbor. LOL

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, I can't help laughing because its so ironic- if any of the other scenarios (got the house, lost to another bidder) had happened, it would have been okay. What did you do to piss the gods off?

Maybe they'll discover major termite damage and back out? Maybe they won't be able to sell their existing house? Maybe the new people that move to their house will be even cooler?

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

Sorry to hear this happened. I can understand your frustration - you didn't get the house, but they shouldn't have either. Lots of termite damage bad karma coming their way.

You know though, you asked me what I would have done and I probably would have stayed in your house. Do the addition...get your gourmet kitchen, family room and 5th bathroom. Keep your awesome neighborhood. Now you don't have to pay movers, have the headache, pay a huge commission, etc. Your current house can be your dream house in one year, rather than the 10 years the other house was going to take. This is what I would do.

Chin up, Charlie. Go have a smoke and forget the woulda, shoulda, couldas.

xoxo Allie

8:28 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Oh no! I don't even know what to say! I'm so sorry!!! (((hugs)))

12:38 AM  
Blogger Sarcomical said...

wow. that just sucks. i would be so tempted to confront those neighbors, even if i knew it would end up badly.

sorry for you. :(

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home