Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Update

I apologize for yesterday's over-the-top melodrama. I got my period today, so that should explain it somewhat. Of course, I was scared to death for Riley but my emotions were probably a bit overcharged for a ten minute outpatient procedure.

Anyway, Riley is doing extremely well. He was a champ today, and is currently running around the house like a lunatic.

So obviously the drugs aren't working quite the way that I'd hoped.

This morning we took him for the surgery while my mom came and stayed with the girls. The worst part for us was how they took him in - we were sitting in the waiting area, Riley completely naked and wrapped in a sheet because he didn't like the "itchy" hospital gown - as I sat struggling to inflate a latex glove while clutching rosary beads (this cannot be done, btw). The nurse came over and started talking about a cool balloon she had in the back, and wisked Riley away without giving us the chance to say goodbye.

Now, in retrospect, he was fine with this and it prevented us from slathering him with weepy kisses, but still.

A short time later (of course I was outside and on the phone with my mother, who does not shut up) the doctor called us in and told us that everything went perfectly well. We were able to sit with him in recovery while he cried and screamed about his penis hurting, and the IV, and our singing, and his general state of disocontent, but an Arthur book about computers and pirate video games eventually calmed him down enough to take home.

The other worst part, the one that hasn't gone away yet, is that his poor little penis hurts every time he pees. The doctor suggested (thank God because I would never have thought of it) that we sit him in the bathtub full of water and let him pee in there, in order to avoid the sting of urine on the open wound. It's been working pretty well so far, but we allowed that first attempt at urination in the toilet and boy, that was a mistake.

So we had Burger King for lunch and french toast and bacon for dinner (there were raspberries and blueberries too, so it wasn't all a wash), and while I may be a half a pound heavier tomorrow, I am so very relieved that my little boy is OK. So relieved in fact that I headed out to Target and bought him that Matchbox Buried Treasure Playset he's been clamoring for. Oh, and Bella got a tiara for being such a princess for her big brother today. Adelyn, of course, got food, which is her greatest joy these days.

For the record, the condition was likely caused by irritation from the healing circumcision wound rubbing against a wet diaper, causing scar tissue to form. They say the surgery is curative, and that it won't come back again. All hail the end of penis surgery in this household!

Also, if I had another son, I'd probably still circumcise him. Quite possibly I'm an idiot, but if you read this blog regularly, you know that already.

So once again, thank you for the kind and supportive words. After the house and the surgery and Easter this weekend (which we are hosting at our house), I am hoping that next week is very very boring.

I know that it doesn't make for good blogging, but really, some monotony and boredom would be good right about now.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to hear Riley is going to be just fine. I called today to check on everyone, but I got the "Don't leave a message on this machine" answering machine. So I didn't leave a message. Where does one leave a message? Got an email from M that said her 18 month old can count backwards from 10 to 1. Ummm, okay. My 18 month old can say chocolate! Yahoo! What have I been doing wrong.

Have a wonderful easter holiday. I have a Microbiology exam and then we are going to my mom's house. Are you having an egg hunt? Is their still snow in your yard?

Oh, and can I just tell you that I discovered a former boyfriend is gay? I had my suspicions, but he denied it when asked. I googled him and found him acting in a play for gay men. Umm, okay. Do you remember who it is?

- A

8:16 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

Very glad to hear everything went so well. And you are a Mom, you are allowed to be dramatic.

((HUG))

Have a great Easter!

8:43 PM  
Blogger Stolidoli said...

A-
I'm not sure that even RILEY can count backwards from 10, because I'm a big loser and have never tried it. I'd say that chocolate is the bigger life lesson, so don't sweat it.

As for the voicemail, Vincent and I have an answering machine, and the voicemail only picks up if someone is on the phone and doesn't pick up call waiting (MOM) or if someone is leaving an answering machine message already. We should clarify that on our "please don't leave us a message on our free voicemail that comes with our phone service and we don't even know how to use it" announcement. Just call right back if you get that voicemail.

Hey Terri - thanks for checking back and allowing me to be melodramatic. Because of course, I AM melodramatic. Just like my son, who is upstairs screaming that he doesn't want to pee, God love him.

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad he's okay. And I don't think you are being melodramatic. If anyone messed with The Cutie Pie's privates, I'd be quite worked up myself. Have a great Easter!

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home