Saturday, January 22, 2005

The Magic of Snowstorms, part one

Let me be clear - the magic of snowstorms when you are single, or at least childless, is this - lying around all day, watching John Hughes movies and drinking beer. Surfing the internet. Making comfort food that takes, like, ALL DAY to cook. Having sex with your boyfriend or husband, or yourself, if you're really desperate (Where are all of those alleged love children from the Blizzard of '96 anyway?).

Napping. Then napping again.

Now, children are a miracle and boy I adore mine, just look at the shrine of pictures already for a blog that is less than one month old. However, the children get cold very very easily and do not like Being Wet In The Snow, particularly when it is still snowing. They are not great shovelers as toddlers and preschoolers (we have not allowed Adelyn to try shoveling yet, but my guess is that she shows little promise, being that she can't even crawl yet). They cannot clear snow off of the minivan, and they demand to be led around the yard in their sleds. Going down the slide into a snowdrift is not nearly as fun for them as sliding into Fall leaves. Plus, they get very very antsy being stuck inside all day, and they begin to demand that I CALL SOMEONE to come over and play. Basically, the Magic of Snowstorms for children does not occur until AFTER the actual storm is over.


Riley bravely attempts to slide in the midst of the blizzard. Notice the mailtruck in the background - I guess they were serious about that rain, sleet and snow thing! Posted by Hello


Today, snow is blanketing the Northeast, and we are all Stuck. Inside. All. Day. Near as I can tell, there are no John Hughes movies on, but I wouldn't know, because we are watching The Little Mermaid for the third time. I am extremely grateful to have made chicken pot pie, from scratch except for the cheater pie crust, and it is morphing into mouth watering comfort food as we speak.

Can you smell it? It is AMAZING. I will post the recipe later if I get a chance.

And I actually did nap, but mostly because I'm not feeling well. I suppose there's still time for sex after the kids go to bed, and HBO has a new movie every Saturday night.

I started this post with the intention of bitching about being cooped up and unshowered and covered with flour. But it looks as though snowstorms are still magic at our house, even as the snow contunues to fall.


2 Comments:

Blogger Sandy said...

I just found your blog and love it! Wanted to let you know that I, too, have spent yesterday and today blizzard bound on the east coast of Canada. We're still technically childless although my husband does have two boys. It's always a crapshoot as to which house they're at when the snow strikes. We lost this time and they're not with us ... we had a ball during the last one when they were with us. Anyhow, love the blog and I'll be back!

6:29 AM  
Blogger Stolidoli said...

Thanks Sandy and welcome!

I think the snow will be around for quite a while, so you got the best of both worlds - you had the opportunity to nap during the storm itself, and you can always sled and build snowmen later!

Am I sleep obsessed?

Anyway, I'm enjoying writing so I'm glad someone is enjoying reading!

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home