Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Leaving on a jet plane...

Tomorrow evening I'm flying for the first time in six years. The first time since I've had kids. The first time since 9/11. I'm heading, by myself, to a friend's wedding in Phoenix and I am scared to death. If I can get over my fear of flying, it will be wonderful to spend four child-free night drinking and carousing with my old friends.

If.

All day my head has been full of thoughts like, "This might be the last dinner I have with my family" and "This might be the last time I kiss my kids goodnight."

Actually, I was out at Walgreen's picking up a prescription for Xanax while Vincent was putting the kids to bed. When I came home, Bella was already asleep - the child hasn't fallen asleep before 9:30 in months and she chooses tonight to get sleepy?

I've never taken Xanax, and since I was also picking up my prenatal vitamin refill, the pharmacist panicked and almost didn't give them to me. I had to explain that I am not pregnant, but I still nurse Adelyn in the mornings sometimes, and that we are thinking about getting pregnant again soon but not actively trying before she'd release the Xanax to me. She scared me half to death, actually. I guess if I end up taking it we won't be trying to get pregnant this month at all. Or next, because that would put me giving birth around Riley's first day of Kindergarten and it would be my luck to have that kind of chaos in my life.

Speaking of Riley, did you know that he was born on a Thursday night? Know why I remember that? Because the Asian doctor on ER gave birth to her son (the one that she gave up for adoption) pretty much at exactly the same moment, EST, that I was giving birth to Riley.

Do you know what will be on ER Thursday night, at precisely the moment my pilot is landing my plane in Phoenix?

Yes, a plane crash.

I think I'll be taking that Xanax after all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Clover said...

Oh, babe- I totally feel for you. I fly about 5-10 times a year, so I'm kind of over the "post-9/11" hurdle, but it was rough for me the first time I did fly. The Cutie Pie was born in 2/01, I went back to work 7/01, but because I was still nursing I had a deal with my boss not to fly until the beginning of 2002. So my first flight was when the Cutie Pie was about a year old and it freaked me out.

Just try to remember that statistically you are more likely to have a car accident than a plane crash- isn't that a pleasant though.

Take the Xanax. I took it when I flew to Italy because it was the first time I was flying after my DVT (blood clot) scare.

11:26 AM  
Blogger M&Co. said...

Oh Happy Pills. They'll get you over the hump! Have fun for four fun filled child free days! I can't even begin to imagine.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

I am trying to catch up with my favorite blogs, and stopped by only to find that your last post is about a flight, a fear of flying, and it was posted over a month ago! We need an update, please!! How did everything go?!

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home