Saturday, February 19, 2005

Been there, done that.

Oh for goodness sake - everyone's talking about the big Judith Warner article in Newsweek. Maybe I'm a slacker mom and that's what's keeping me from getting my panties in a bunch about the whole thing - or maybe it's just the dirty sweatpants - but I don't think the article is terrible. Quite the contrary, I was thrilled when I saw it.

Bloggers everywhere are debating the merits of Warner's article, but I think they're missing the point - we get it already because we are mothers. So what if she's repeating the same tired mantra? She's doing it on the cover of Newsweek! Of course the article doesn't shed much light on my existence.

I know who I am.

But now, thanks to Judith Warner, people are talking about and debating the trials and tribulations of motherhood - people who are NOT mothers.

People with penises.

Corporate America.

Wall Street.

People who do not actually subscribe to Parents and American Baby and Family Fun.

People who don't get it - and have never thought about the financial and emotional toll of raising a family - are being sensitized to the issue in one of America's leading news magazines.

I can't complain. I am, however, thrilled that people are using their voices to generate dialogue about motherhood. As a mother and frequent reader of countless "Mommy Blogs", it's what I do anyway.

But now, thanks to Judith Warner's article, I'm pleased at the thought that there might be more people listening.

Thank you Judith Warner. Talk hard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home